Thursday, October 21, 2010

Flowerdog


  A dog's world is made primarily of scent. There are sights, to be sure, and sounds, but scent reigns supreme in the canine sensory array.


 There are stories in the grass: of voles passing, of rabbits and crickets, of droppings and tracks and scent molecules you and I could never perceive. Chet reads them all like you and I read the daily paper.


                           
 He turns the page and answers my call.  Chet Baker, we have something for you to smell.


It's a tuberose, fresh from the garden. (Astute readers will notice that these photos were taken when one could still be outside in shorts; when the Queen Anne's lace was abloom instead of afrazzle; when the tuberoses perfumed the entire yard each evening and early morning with their swoony scent.

 Why, that is delightful, Phoebe! Of course I could smell it as soon as I came out of the house, but it is nice to have it up close, right out of the flower tube.



 May I smell it again?



 Mmmmm. That is delicious. It reminds me of...hm. I do not have a word for it, but I know I smelled it before. Perhaps last year, in August, and the year before.

Tuberose?

Yes, thank you. It is tuberose. The basis for many perfumes. You are not a perfume-wearing woman, but you should know that. Tuberose is in the agave family. It grows from bulbs, which you must pull up every fall and store in the basement.

Yes, I know, Chet Baker, and we need to do that very soon, before it freezes and the leaves wither away and it's hard to find the bulbs.




 I will help you do that. I never tire of the scent. I am a sensual dog. They say that dogs like awful stinky smells, and that is true, but we also appreciate smells you think are beautiful. We have a much wider smell palette than you do.



We may not agree on the loveliness of green coyote poo as a body cream (trust me, it is lovely!)  but we definitely agree on tuberose. Right, Mether?



Right, Chet Baker. You good boy, you. Give us a kiss! Mbwah!

That is the kissingest woman. 

Hit "Like" and his updates will appear in your news feed. Who wouldn't Like that?

No comments:

Post a Comment

ptpd

http://www.777seo.com/seo.php?username=kewut&format=ptp http://www.paid-to-promote.net/member/signup.php?r=kewut Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner